Sunday, January 12, 2014

Growing up at the Movies: An Introduction


Kid movies that made me the Adult I am today

   C.S. Lewis was a great champion of fairy tales and children’s stories. He was often quoted saying things like, “sometimes fairy stories say best what needs to be said” and “some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again”.

   I never really stopped being into fantasy, fairytales and far off lands. It’s quite interesting to me as I revisit some of my favorite “kid” movies, that they are still as magical and awe inspiring as they were when I first saw them. There’s a saying that goes something like, “good art should be enjoyed at every stage of life”.

   For the first time in my life, I’m actually old enough to have more than one stage to look back on! 

   Now as I watch, I start wondering why these movies mean so much to me. What was it that caught my attention as a little girl, and why do I still want to watch them over and over?

   I started compiling this list as a bunch of fun favorites, but as I started writing, I realized that many of these films helped shape my perception of the world- or gave me a new perception to ponder.

  That’s cool! That’s good Art!

   Some of these movies brought out some very deep thoughts that I never imagined I’d cover in a series comprised of animated features. I fell in love with them as a kid- latched on to them as a teen, and now I’m viewing them as a young adult. In each stage   I keep seeing new things, old things, and am finding out a lot about myself.

   Kid movies... who knew, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment